The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association commissioned an Economic Impact Study on the RV industry, released on June 7, 2016. The study found that the RV industry contributes about $49.7 billion in economic output or 0.28 percent of the Gross Domestic Product. Through its production and distribution linkages, the industry impacts firms in 426 of the 440 sectors of the United States economy.
Nationwide, the industry is responsible for 216,170 jobs, both directly and inderectly, creating an economic impact of $37.5 billion. The full study results, along with each individual state and congressional district's economic impact is available on the website by clicking here .
Wed Sep 13, 2017
Camp Hill, Penn. - The Introduction to RV Service Course begins Sept. 25 and runs through Oct. 22. The online program, which is run by Northampton Community College and the Pennsylvania RV and Camping Association, allows students to gain an in-depth understanding of recreation vehicle maintenance with intensive, competency-based instruction. Students simply log on to access the lecture notes, hands-on assignments, quizzes and chat with the instructor and other students. The program gives students the flexibility to complete the course from the comfort of their home or dealership without having the expense of traveling to a training facility.
The program is approved by RVIA and qualifies for recertification hours. Students receive a certificate of completion upon successful completion of the course. The program is designed for RV maintenance and sales personnel, service managers, factory field technicians, service representatives, inspectors and those seeking a new, hands-on career in a growing industry.
Those who complete the entire program will earn a Specialized Diploma from Northampton Community College. Students not wishing to obtain the Specialized Diploma may also enroll in individual courses as desired. Those who earn the Specialized Diploma will be prepared to test for the RV Service Technician or a Master Certified RV Service Technician with the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association.
Introduction to Recreation Vehicle Service Course – RVTNC105.5
Recertification Hours: 28 hours
This course is the logical entry point into the RV Technician Training Program. It delves into the workings of a typical RV dealership service center and exposes the student to the skills necessary to function within a dealership environment. RV construction techniques are discussed as well as the proper care and use of hand tools. Safety, work habits and the introduction to RV Codes and Standards are also presented. A deeper look into the various job classifications and pay structures at the RV dealership gives the student a well-rounded view of what is possible after training and certification. After successful completion of this course the student will effectively be able to:
• Identify the different terminology as well as the different classifications of RVs
• Recognize and identify RV manufacturers and their products
• Describe the methods of framing, laminating and construction techniques used
• Locate the plumbing, electrical and LP systems on any RV
• Identify hand tools, shop equipment and specialty tools
• Describe the safe use and proper care of tools
• Identify appropriate dress and safety gear
• Identify the safe storage of hazardous materials
• Implement safe work habits
• Find and use material safety data sheet
• Identify applicable RV codes and standards (NEC, A119.2, DOT & state)
• Identify various RV occupations
• Describe RV service technician job classifications
• Identify and utilize service manual, service bulletins, user’s guides and troubleshooting manuals
• Locate RV specifications in specified service literature
To register, go online to lifelearn.northampton.edu/modules/
• Click on View Catalog under Center for Business and Industry (CBI).
• Click on Technical and Trades.
• Search for course and follow registration procedure.
• Please call 610-861-5390 if you have problems with registration.
To purchase the textbook required for the course ($22.95 – includes shipping), contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 888-303-2887. The course’s materials are supported by RVIA and feature competency-based instruction, assignments and testing. Scholarships are also available.
RV Pre-Delivery Inspection: Oct. 9 – Nov. 5
RV Preventive Maintenance: Oct. 23 – Nov. 19
RV Liquid Propane Systems: Nov. 6 – Dec. 10